Friday, February 16, 2018

Journal 1 - Musings from a public health class!



Week 1. 8/21/2013.

It's Our Environment.
Today is my first day in Environmental Health class and I am thrilled to be a part of this class. I'm also delighted to be in this diverse environment of different accents, backgrounds and ideas. We look different, we speak different, but we have similar goals and I think this is a complete set and we would make a great class. Though my concentration is Epidemiology, this class is equally important to me because we live in the environment and the wellbeing of our surroundings influence our wellbeing and is a reflection of our ability to care for nature, and to be effective and efficient about it. It is amazing how all Public health concentrations are inter-related, like a web of thrones, it's like saying we all need each other, and we really do, so tomorrow we wouldn't have self-important Professionals competing for which is the most relevant concentration, while it is more essential to collaborate and achieve more together.
The Letter of Introduction was the first assignment and I think that was a great idea. It was like pouring out a part of my life and dreams and sharing with everybody, but only Dr. F got to see it. I think it would have been good for everyone to have access to everyone's letter, so we can get to know each other better. This semester, I will be reading Silent Spring. I look forward to reading Rachael Carson's remarkable green book.



Week 2. 28/8/2013

Peace to the Modern World.
Sarin Nerve Gas is being used in the war in Syria. I think it's so wrong that such hazardous gas is being released on humans. It's bad enough that many people are being massacred daily but using chemical weapons in war is murderous and sad. It doesn't matter to me who used the gas, the rebels or Assad's government, because propaganda sometimes stands above truth in journalism and we may never know what report is truth. We know nevertheless, the effects of Sarin and should avoid and control it if we can. There are policies in place, but Syria didn't sign the Chemical Weapons Convention. However, it is interesting too, that this toxic Sarin was originally developed and used as a pesticide. I have never witnessed a war and wouldn't ever want to. Even the thought of ongoing wars in some parts of the world shocks me. Sitting in class and talking about this, Syria seems too far away but it really isn't because in wars, we are all casualties, the hazardous effects of chemicals on the environment outlive us, they would remain when we are all gone.
It's scary that the world population is rising and scientists predict even more births in later years and possible doubling of the world's population. Scientists also predict decline in some resources, like the peak oil prediction. If this happens, I wonder how significant a single human life would be in a crowded world. Do we all have a spot in the world's map? How big is this spot? I also wonder the fate of the human race, if human population grows in arithmetic proportion, while resources on the other hand, remain the same or diminishes. What about the animal population, would it be on the rise too, because they are an important part of our ecosystem. Would there be enough for us all and how do we distribute limited resources so that everyone in the world has a fair share?



Week 3. 09/04/2013

Because we are involved.
We had a motivating policy making exercise in class and I participated as a part of the constituency. After meeting and analysing, my team was against the presented bill. Watching my colleagues and I debate over the presented issues was a reminder of what works in the developed world and what doesn't in the developing. How much involved are we in policies and governmental issues? How interested are we? I didn't know that as part of the constituency, I could contact the congress, make them understand and possibly, change their minds. Probably because in the world where I come from, it doesn't work that way. Policies are made alright, but are neither implemented nor continued, leading mostly to consistent policy failure.
This affects me in several ways. First, it made me more aware of my involvement as a member of the society. It made me conscious of my career path, and what I, privileged to be educated, privileged to be a Public health professional can do to ensure that policies that would be made would largely benefit the people for whom they are made. I can teach people to be more interested in policies, to advocate for themselves, stand for what they believe in and what truly would be better for them.



Week 4. 09/11/2013

The Method that Works.
Quiz day. I had my first ever open book quiz. The most challenging question was to make a connection between Environmental healthy people objectives and my concentration. It is important that we are making these connections, because tomorrow, these are the cases we would be presented with and we would have to do the work. I think Dr. F wants us to be thinking, not just to memorize answers and be ready for exams but to deeply understand and reflect on what she is teaching. Learning goes beyond reading books and listening in class. It's proof is in the application of the knowledge gained to real life issues. She wants us to have the right information and be able to make a connection of that to our own lives and rightly apply it in solving public health issues. She divides us in teams so we can pool ideas and reason together. So far, it has been beneficial to me and difficult to forget whatever I have learned. That, I think is a valuable method of learning.

My group picked a white and black stuffed animal and we figured it out to be mad cow disease, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. There are many diseases to learn about. I think I should visit a farm someday. I liked the idea of bonus questions on the quiz and I hope we'll get that on the exams too.



Week 5. 09/18/2013

The Earth. This place we call home.
In undergrad I took a course in Toxicology. It's scary to know that every chemical is a potential poison and these drugs which are intended to prevent or cure sicknesses could do the exact opposite, cause damage. And even naturally occurring substances which are so useful, could on the other hand, be so dangerous. As a child, I played with everything I found in the neighbourhood not knowing how dangerous that could be. As a Pharmacist, I counsel patients to keep drugs away from kids and take the specified dose. During my internship, I saw patients being rushed into the emergency room on account of poisoning from chemicals stored at home (relaxers, fuels, insecticides.) I think that we can create a balance by minimizing risks and improving our knowledge about them and using less toxic ones as substitute if possible.
We had an interesting discussion on canvas, I believe that it is not safe to extrapolate animal LD50 studies on humans. That was my stand on the discussion, that in the face of new and validated methods, which are both safer, cost efficient and more accurate, staying with old systems is ludicrous and wrong. Back in school, we used guinea pigs and rats for practicals and projects. I used 20 white rats for my project and I remember a time when it was alleged that experiment rats escaped from the animal house into the hostels, who knows what toxins they carried with them into the environment.



Week 6. 09/25/2013

Becoming Erin.
Movie night. We watched an educating biographical movie, Erin Brokovich. I had not seen the movie before and it was a good opportunity for me. (Also part of culture shock for me that we watched a movie in class. In class. But that is story for another day, hehehe).
I found it astonishing that the Corporate headquarters knew that the water in Hinkley was contaminated with Hexavalent Chromium and did nothing about it, that PG&E lied that they were using safer forms of chromium while the lives of people in an entire community was endangered. It made me think, What if there are still communities out there, exposed to hazardous chemicals and ignorant of it, like the character Mrs Jensen who was vulnerable and naive and believed all what she was told. What about some communities that are aware of the environmental dangers they face or injustice done them but cannot do anything about it?

I admire the character Erin Brokovich's courage to investigate the case, empathize with victims and arrange for plaintiffs. Even though she didn't have a resume, she had other skills, her curiosity and tenacity saved a city and made a company beg. It's an inspiring reminder of the power of the human spirit. Though I didn't admire her choice of clothes and words, I think her upbringing and possibly, struggles as a single mother did write a story on her character made her stronger. On further research, I discovered that Erin, on whose life story the movie was based, lacks any legal education but was instrumental to constructing a case against PG&E in 1993. Erin's story spoke to me in many ways. As a public health professional, I should reason and make connections when presented with health issues, use my knowledge and skills to save communities, not cower because of threats or challenges, but stand in the box and get the work done. Though it was a good thing that the case was settled and the Henkley residents got good money, I think it would have been better if it never happened, if PG&E didn't use Chromium6, if those residents didn't suffer tumours, if we could be better protected against hazards. Life isn't about being rich but about being healthy, because good health is worth more than the greatest wealth.


[Found this on Dropbox and decided to post on my blog. Good memories from Fall 2013. Enjoy!]







No comments:

Post a Comment