Sunday, February 2, 2014

Superbowl Sunday.


It is sunday night in college station. Everybody...everybody is watching the Superbowl except me. Friends gather in packs to watch the game. America's great game. I'm lost. So I asked thrice today, What exactly is Superbowl. Some tried to explain to me but some just stared at me, like are you serious? It's the biggest blablabla in the whole of America and even the whole of the world, more blablabla. Too bad, nobody knows Superbowl in Nigeria's part of the world. And that's where I'm from. I'm yet to understand why six packed (you could see it through their jerseys), giant tall, heavy muscled men wear husky pads and helmets to play 'football' with their hands. I know there's a quarter back and then there's a tailback but the whistle comes too often and they all fall on each other like massive bergs struggling over a little ball. So then I don't get it. Give me madness and clashing, champions and magic, swiftness and soul, let my senses go running. Win, noWin. Let the coaches cry aloud. Give me something like noise and tears... give me English premiership.

I scroll the internet for superbowl. It's between the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. It will be played in New Jersey. Good. I have an interview tomorrow, who knows what they could ask. One day I'll come to love American football. I know that. No, I predict that. You don't know how slowly culture grows on you, and stays with you, without seeking your consent. New friends, new interests, new hobbies, new tomorrows. Living changes like that. Many times.

P.s: They say the underdogs won. You can google who the underdogs are. I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment